Wednesday, January 14, 2009

So, I just watched 'Jesus Camp.'

It's a documentary about extremist fundamental Evangelicals, and it is full of a lot of laughs, and a lot of stupid.

Now, I'm a Henotheist myself, and partial to the god I've devised myself, but still I don't really like to deny the existence of the others (mainly the Judeo-Christian-Muslim god [Yahweh, God, Allah, all the same god, different name]) because I just don't know (I admit it would be nice if it was mine who existed). But yeah, I don't like it when they preach their beliefs (especially to me) in such a contradictory way (watch the movie and you'll see how if you know anything about Christianity). They're exactly like extremist Muslims in their way of teaching, all gung ho about 'laying down their life' for their 'cause.' Usually the Christian cause isn't so damned stupid (citing Palestinian asshattery for the past five decades. Did they learn anything from Gandhi and MLK Jr.?).

Enough of that. My opinion on that may come at a later time.

This isn't a review on Jesus Camp, because I filed it under 'Comedy' because I found it so funny. This is just a little on the stupid that is extremist fundamentalist Evangelicalism.

First off, because I really want to say this to a host of Evangelicals:

"Do you know whether or not that abortion is God's way of denying the lives of people he thinks aren't worthy to live? I don't, but do you? Do you know whether or not He wants them there by His side immediately instead of being here on this rather divided Earth? Do you? Because I don't, and yet it seems to be the most logical answer to abortion to me."

I think that would be both a comical, and serious question, because I want to know what they would really respond to that with.

Anyways, in Jesus Camp, one of the guys said that when Evangelicals vote, they 'decide the election.' Yeah, right. Why isn't McCain president-elect then? Pfft, it is the young voters and non-voters that decide the election, especially this time around. Because as religious as Obama is, he is not Evangelical, and he is not extremist (but Palin was, a hee hee! And where is she now? Grabbing at any little thing that will keep her in the news and trying to solidify herself as the 2012 front runner for the Republican party... Yeah, right). Eh, that was tangential... Yeah, Obama did not get a lot of the Evangelical vote, mainly because of that big red reverse 'L' in the election results map and the low numbers in those states. My point? It was the young, (hopefully) mostly subjective (religious) people that decided this latest election.

Also, I'd like to point out something I saw in a Survivor show. It was, I think, the season opener of Survivor: China, and they were asking for enlightenment in a Buddhist temple. One of the contestants on that deplorable show was a Christian radio host. I'm sure she wasn't extremest or anything, and if I remember right, she was voted off the second or third time. But yeah, she said after she had left the temple before the prayer was over and they showed one of those private camera clips of her and she said something like this, "One of the ten Commandments says 'you shall not bow to any god before me' and that's what I was doing" or something amazingly stupid like that. I wanted to just punch her. Siddhartha Gautama is NOT, I repeat, NOT a god. He was a man who had reached ultimate Nirvana (no, not that band), the ultimate enlightenment. He was more a teacher than anything. And also, there is definitely more than ONE Buddha! Also, Buddhism is more philosophy that religion for all you dumbshits out there. Also, I heard that some Buddhist scholars were teaching that Jesus and Siddhartha were friends. Hey! That's a concept you fucking Evangelicals! Think about that!

That brings me into something about Islam, I have seen frescoes, mosaics, and painting depicting Jesus and Muhammad (and once Moses there too) riding side by side as if they were homies. There's another concept! Traditionally, even though Saul of Tarsus opened Christianity to anyone and everyone, Islam and its Muslims have been a lot more accepting over the lat one and a half millennia. Usually it had to do with the fact that Muslims didn't have to pay taxes, so they needed a tax base, but still there was tolerance, something that didn't happen much in early Christianities (yes, in the beginning of Christianity, Christianity was plural because there was more than one 'official' doctrine practiced throughout the Mediterranean world). Also, both Moses and Jesus are considered Islamic prophets, just nowhere near as important as Muhammad, whose bit was that he revealed the 'final truth' of God's (Allah's, their name for God) word. Which if you've heard of that Israeli site which breaks down the Qur'an to its most fundamental and best teachings, would realize that Islam is just as good as Christianity, and in some places, much better.

Okay, enough of the Humanities... One things that really tweaks my melon is the fact that children are used as tools, and are melded and indoctrinated as if they are cattle. This doesn't just happen in fundamentalist, extremist Evangelicals, but in extremist Muslims and in places where a quick soldier is needed (especially in rebel African, and South American groups). I say, teach your children, but don't indoctrinate them, it's brainwashing. Let them grow up and decide the path they want to take. Let them decide if they want to be stupid creationists or stupid natural selectionists or stupid Republicans or stupid Democrats. Don't turn them into Christians, let them decide.

I'm not glad that this Jesus camp thing closed down to find a 'more secure' location for their camp so stupid vandals and atheist retards won't harm them. I'd like to learn Latin, find a Latin Bible and preach to them how it was done for a thousand years. Because they are indeed, the very much so uneducated masses.

That's my two cents for now. I rant a lot about religion, because it's fun.

No comments: